Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year

Pacific White Crown Sparrow on a cold but clear January morning snacking from our bird feeder hanging in the mulberry tree in the front yard.  Snacking is what I'm going to stop doing if it is sugary foods - only the healthy for me this year.  It's a big commitment which always flies out the window as soon as my tummy growls or my emotions kick in.  If only I had an alert button that would trigger when my hands and mouth automatically flutter for the food. 

White-crowned Sparrows appear each winter over much of North America to grace our gardens and favorite trails (they live in parts of the West year-round). The smart black-and-white head, pale beak, and crisp gray breast combine for a dashing look – and make it one of the surest sparrow identifications in North America. Watch for flocks of these sparrows scurrying through brushy borders and overgrown fields, or coax them into the open with backyard feeders. As spring approaches, listen out for this bird’s thin, sweet whistle.

No comments:

Post a Comment